I love BBQ and I love bread, so when I saw this recipe on How Sweet Eats, it was kinda a no-brainier.
Disclaimer: While I used this recipe, I did not follow it 100%. For time and even a little bit of money purposes (not wanting to spend on added ingredients) I more used the recipe for inspiration, which is actually what I tend to do with A LOT of recipes (you’ve been warned).
With that, here is my take on the BBQ Chicken Calzone.
What you need:
- Chicken (I used a rotisserie from the store to save time)
- BBQ Sauce of choice
- 2 medium sized onions
- Cheese of choice (pizza cheeses such as provolone and mozzarella, typically go best with BBQ)
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Pizza Crust (again, to save time I used the Pillsbury crust as it comes ready to use)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
1. First, slice up the onion and shred chicken. The amount I have in the picture above is enough to fill regular sized cereal bowls. This made more than enough for two large calzones and I had some filling left over. The amount you want to use will be dependent on how many you want.
2. In a frying pan, add onions and a little olive oil for frying. Saute onions until they begin to become wilted and brown. Add a few splashes of the Worcestershire sauce. Allow onions to cook with sauce a few more minutes. Add salt and pepper.
3. After the onions are cooked to your liking, reduce the heat and add in the shredded chicken. Mix together and add just a little BBQ sauce. Mix. Remove from heat.
4. On the side you’ll want to make your dough. I used the Pillsbury pizza crust and just cut it in half in order to make two. After you have dough sized and rolled out, you can start filling.
*Note*– Use caution. I had some difficulty rolling mine together because I stuffed them a little too much. You want to avoid any holes so your cheese doesn’t melt out during cooking.
5. On the dough put BBQ sauce, the chicken and onion mixture, cheese, and more cheese.
6. Wrap them up and place in preheated oven. (Preheat temperature and cook times will vary depending on what type of dough you decide to use).
7. Enjoy with dipping sauce of your choice! (I, of course, opted for more BBQ)