I am always searching for something new, easy and delicious to be able to throw together last minute for a girls night, a friends get together, appetizer or Sunday afternoon football snack.
I have been doing these jalapeno poppers for over a year now, so while they are not a new recipe that I am trying, I figured they would be a good to share for anyone looking for something new and delicious.
What you need:
- 8-10 large jalapeno peppers (you will cut them in half so it really just depends on how many people you are trying to feed)
- Brick of cream cheese, softened
- Bacon bits (real are the best but I often use Oscar Mayer brand bacon bits to save time)
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Seasoned bread crumbs
- Crescent rolls, optional (I do not usually do mine this way but the last time when I took the pictures I tried this. Wasn’t my favorite but it was not terrible if you want a little something extra)
What to do:
- Take the jalapenos, cut off the stem and slice them in half. WARNING: When dealing with jalapenos it is important to cover your hands. I typically just put plastic sandwich bags over my hands but trust me when I say that if you cut or scoop out the jalapenos bare handed, you will be sorry. For days and days and days.
- Scoop out the jalapenos. If you want to really make it interesting, keep a couple of the seeds in a bowl to mix into the filling.
- Place jalapenos on a baking sheet and put in the oven to broil. You just want to get them somewhat soft and steaming but it is important to keep an eye on them so they do not burn. Usually 5-7 minutes depending on your oven.
- Make the filling. Mix the cream cheese, bacon and cheddar cheese in a bowl. Add bacon and cheese to taste preference.
- Remove jalapenos from the oven and allow to cool enough to touch. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop filling into the jalapeno. It is okay to really fill them. The more the better.
- At this point, I wrapped half of the poppers in the crescent rolls but that is an optional step.
- Place the filled poppers on the baking sheet and top off with more cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, broil for last 3-5 minutes to make tops golden brown
- Serve and enjoy!